In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Metro Cinema closed its doors on March 16, 2020. Our utmost priority is the safety of our community, patrons, volunteers, and staff. At Metro Cinema, our mandate is to bring people together through film and media art, and while our physical space is closed to help “flatten the curve” of transmission, we will continue to promote great movies and a sense of community, any way we can.
These recent events have given us time to reflect on what community means to us. Our shared spaces and experiences carry a new level of importance. Though we are now apart, isolated from one another, we do believe that it is kindness, community, and human connection that will carry us through this. We also believe that this new appreciation for community is not a fleeting moment, but that it will form the foundation of the “new normal” we find on the other side of this. We are certain that Metro Cinema’s role in the community will be more important than ever in the months and years ahead.
When it is safe to do so, we hope to open our doors and help bring a sense of normalcy back to daily life but we will need the community’s help to do so. This interruption in our operation puts a significant strain on our finances and threatens our future. We are seeking emergency support at this time, so that we can continue to be Edmonton’s home to gather, and share great film experiences for many years to come.
You can contribute to our emergency funding campaign here. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Donations of $100 or more, as well as Silver Screen passholders, are also eligible for Metro Cinema Society membership!
If donating isn’t an option for you at this time, there are still ways you can help us!
- Attend one of our Virtual Screenings. We’ve partnered with distributors to bring art house titles to you at home – 50% of the screening fee goes to us.
- Book our marquee for a special message! It’s a unique and safe way to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested!
- Purchase passes from our online store. Our passes have no expiry and come in Adult or Student/Senior options.
- Purchase a Silver Screen Pass, which will get you single non-transferable admission to more than 800 Metro screenings each year, and some screenings by partners and renters of the Garneau.
- Amplify us on social media. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Like, comment, and share our posts. Tag us with the movies you’re watching and what you’re doing to stay busy.
- Purchase a Metro Cinema t-shirt from Print Machine, whose #HereforGood campaign helps small business in Edmonton. Our shirt features a custom design from poster favourite Borys Tarasenko – it’s the perfect fashion for self-isolating or video calls!
Your support will not only help us to continue to bring community through cinema, but it also lets us know that cinema is worth fighting for.