Job Posting – Programming Manager
Metro Cinema is a community-based not-for-profit society devoted to creating and fostering opportunities for the exhibition of diverse, unique shared viewing experiences in Edmonton. We are dedicated to the presentation of film and video in many forms, hosting a thousand events each year in the historic Garneau Theatre.
Metro is seeking a Programming Manager with a passion for cinema, an appreciation of film as an art form, and a love of community engagement to join our team. As Programming Manager, you will design, coordinate, and implement film exhibition at Metro Cinema on a daily basis. You’ll work closely with staff, community stakeholders, and the Metro Cinema Programming Committee to build and execute the long-term programming vision and fulfill the society’s mandate.
● Booking and scheduling daily screenings
● Maintaining relationships with film distributors and negotiating the terms of film exhibition
● Selecting films that support Metro Cinema’s mandate, broad curatorial vision, and policies
● Ensuring that programming reflects Metro Cinema’s dual commitment to maintaining high aesthetic standards and fostering the growth and diversity of our audience
● Coordination with other staff and community stakeholders to help plan screenings, special events, and community partnerships
● Coordinating classification of content whenever required
● Tracking of statistical data related to film category and attendance
● A breadth of contemporary and historic film knowledge from a global perspective
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills
● Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to handle complex time-sensitive logistical issues and prioritize multiple deadlines
● An ability to contextualize films in a social or artistic sense, and an appreciation for a wide variety of cinematic styles and film categories
● Creativity and flexibility while balancing the needs of various stakeholders
● The ability to lead a working group and work within a collaborative environment
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Suite software
Prior experience with film distribution, film exhibition and programming, and a technical understanding of contemporary presentation formats are assets but not required.
This is a full-time, permanent position. We offer a flexible work schedule, with most work during daytime, weekday hours. Some evening and weekend work is required. This position includes extended health coverage and a starting salary between $38,000 to $45,000 annually, depending on experience.
Send your cover letter and resume in confidence to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
Metro Cinema is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a safe, positive, and inclusive workplace free of discrimination and harassment. We employ personnel without regard to age, race, colour, ethnic background, citizenship, gender identification, sexual orientation, disability, family status, and any status protected by the statutes and laws of Canada and Alberta.