May 6, 2020
The Government of Alberta has announced its relaunch strategy, and we’ve received many excited comments about the prospect of our reopening! Venues such as ours fall within Stage 2, with its date to be “determined by the success of Stage 1, considering health care system capacity, hospitalization and ICU cases, and infection rates.” We encourage everyone to continue to keep the safety of those around us in mind by maintaining physical distancing whenever possible.
March 17, 2020
Alberta Health has detailed new mass gathering restrictions, stating the following:
- Albertans are prohibited from attending public recreation facilities and private entertainment facilities.
- This includes gyms, swimming pools, arenas, science centres, museums, art galleries, libraries, community centres, children’s play centres, casinos, racing entertainment centres and bingo halls.
We will continue to monitor these updates, and look forward to the long-term health of our community.
March 16, 2020Effective March 16, Metro Cinema is temporarily closed in order to help “flatten the curve” of COVID-19 transmission. Our utmost priority is the safety of our community, patrons, volunteers, and staff. This is a trying time for all of us, but our community has the strength to get through this. Take care of one another. As much as you are able, find safe ways to support your family, neighbours, local businesses, artists, and charities. When the time is right, we will see you out at the movies again.If you’ve pre-purchased tickets to any upcoming shows, you can email email@example.com to request a refund. If if you are able to do so however, consider making your ticket purchase a donation to Metro Cinema as this will help us greatly to get back up and running.Here are some resources to help you until then:Cabin Fever: Coping with COVID-19 playlist of online experimental films and videos from experimental filmmaker and educator Kate Lain
March 12, 2020
Following Alberta Health‘s directive to cancel mass gatherings, we are restricting attendance at all of our screenings and events to 250 people. We continue to monitor the rapid evolution of novel coronavirus news and are committed to supporting public health measures to limit its spread.
We also need your help to keep Metro Cinema safe for everyone:
- Stay home if you are sick, or you are in one of the following high risk categories:
- 60+ years of age.
- With underlying health conditions including heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes.
- With weakened immune system
- Who are pregnant
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Use a hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol if unable to wash your hands.
- Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow, and dispose of tissue without contaminating other surfaces.
- Avoid contact with people who are ill.
Refer to Alberta Health for updates on COVID-19, or phone 811 if you are experiencing symptoms.
March 11, 2020
At Metro Cinema, we take our slogan of “Where Community Meets Cinema” to heart. We value the health and safety of our customers and staff. While Alberta Health has stated that the current risk to Albertans of contracting novel coronavirus is low, we are taking the following precautionary measures to prevent its spread.
- Enhanced practices for sanitary handling of food items.We are suspending all self service of concession items. Napkins and straws will be kept behind the concession counter for staff to dispense, and disposable gloves will be mandatory for popcorn and beverage service.
- Enhanced hygiene of high contact surfaces.Our staff will disinfect “high-touch” surfaces such as table and counter tops, door handles and handrails, and electronic devices such as our Point of Sale machines regularly.
- Suspended usage of reusable cups and containers.Concession items will only be served to our customers in Metro Cinema cups or bags.
We have also reviewed hygiene best practices with our staff, including frequent, effective hand washing and staying home if feeling ill. We greatly appreciate the patronage of our loyal customers, but we ask that if you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms to follow all Alberta Health recommendations and consider enjoying our programming at a later date.
We continue to be committed to our programming and support our devoted patrons and staff during these delicate times. We are monitoring local updates from Alberta Health and we encourage you to do the same; we will provide additional information in the event of any subsequent changes to our scheduling or processes.