Who We Are:
Metro Cinema is a community-based not-for-profit society devoted to creating and fostering opportunities for the exhibition of diverse, unique shared viewing experiences in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Film and media arts are significant art forms.
- Film and media arts are a means of fostering open communication, education, and community.
- Film and media arts should be inclusive and accessible to everyone.
What We Do:
- We program a diverse blend of film and media arts by presenting educational, independent, cultural, and innovative works.
- We facilitate engagement and interaction between audiences and the content by offering additional resources and interactive experiences.
- We provide diverse opportunities for individuals or community groups to curate series, host film festivals and special events, and screen their own works.
- We operate with the ongoing assistance of a large volunteer base, keeping our programming as affordable as possible for our patrons while also providing an opportunity for them to get more involved with us.
How To Get Involved:
Metro Cinema has many ways for people to get involved as volunteers with the society. Volunteers assist in setting up screenings and events, running concession and bar, designing posters and promotional materials, hosting and introducing screenings and events, and by getting involved in the society’s board and committees. You can fill out our volunteer application form.
Safe Space Policy:
Metro Cinema is committed to providing a safe environment to all attendees, staff and volunteers. Racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, abusive, or discriminatory language or behavior of any kind will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to remove any patron creating a hostile environment. You can read the full policy here.
Metro Cinema is grateful for the support of the Alberta Media Arts Alliance, Alberta Media Production Industries Association, CJSR, FAVA, Telefilm Canada, and the Harper-Kennedy Fund at the Edmonton Community Foundation.